We are members of a charitable institution called Straight From the Heart. This is a non- profit organiza-tion that concentrates on uplifting the poor. Our main activities involve the feeding of indigent families on the Cape Flats (Bokmakieirie, Pooke Road Informal Settlement, Landsdowne Informal Settlement, Kuilsriver Street dwellers) and our Education Support Programme (ESP). The ESP is an ambitious programme to re-move an indigent family out of poverty in the shortest possible time, by providing support through to a learner through high school and Tertiary education.
SFTH was formed in 2002 as an informal body with 4 members but was formalised on the 18 April 2008 and currently has 11 dedicated members. Much was done to enhance the lives of people less fortunate than us.
A few of our projects:
- monthly feeding schemes
- Raised funds for Red Cross Hospital
- Clothing and consumables were supplied to victims of the Cape Floods and Cape Flats Tornado
- distributing Christmas party packs during festive times
- distributing food hampers during the Hindu festival (Diwali)
- Big feeds done at least twice a year
EDUCATION SUPPORT PROJECT (ESP)
- To provide short term, medium term and long term mentoring and training programmes for students from disadvantaged backgrounds, focusing on their academic, emotional, spiritual, physical, and life skills development, to better prepare them for integration into society.
- To assist the development of school learners.
- To assist students in identifying suitable careers, obtaining employment, and / or furthering their education employment so that he/she may contribute to the empowerment of the immediate family and community. This includes aiding students in obtaining financial assistance where possible.
- To assist and encourage the student/s to integrate their learning's into their community and in so doing contribute to the upliftment of the community
THANKS AND APPRECIATION
On behalf of our beneficiaries and our members we record our sincere thanks and appreciation to all our donors and supporters for their contributions that makes it possible for us to serve the disadvantaged and the indigent.
APPEAL FOR SUPPORT
The feeding scheme and the ESP is an attempt to impact on the endemic poverty in our country. We appeal for any support in cash or kind. Cash contributions can be made through monthly contributions or once off annual payments. In kind contributions can take the form of ingredients for cooking, life skills coaching, mathematics and physical science tuition and mentoring.